Museum Rules and Safety
The Mid-Hudson Discovery Museum is a designed to be enjoyed by families with children up to age 12. Exhibits and educational content is planned to be appropriate for children ages 0-12. The following rules have been developed and are enforced to ensure the safety of, and enjoyment for our audience:
- Parents/caregivers are responsible for child supervision at all times inside the Museum and on the Museum grounds. All children must be accompanied by an adult parent/caregiver (age 18+) when visiting the Museum.
- Please limit your smartphone/tablet use while visiting the Museum with your child. When parents/caregivers are absorbed in their technology device instead of engaging with their child the result is not good.
- Lack of adequate adult supervision of children is grounds for immediate removal from the Museum without refund.
- Child drop-offs are NOT permitted. Guest services staff are here to assist you during your visit, but do not provide childcare services.
- When visiting in a family group, older siblings (age 14+) may accompany children in upstairs galleries when younger children are with a parent/caregiver downstairs, provided they are providing direct supervision and are attentive of younger siblings in their care. Older siblings who are found to be inattentive to children in their care must return (with siblings) to the proximity of the parent/caregiver of the group.
- Rough-housing with exhibits and/or other people is NOT permitted.
- Disruptive, disrespectful and/or abusive behavior will result in your being asked to leave the Museum immediately without refund, and may be grounds for revoking Museum membership.
- Adults may not explore the Museum without accompanying children or without being escorted by Museum staff.
- Business guests must check in at the front desk upon arrival.
- Bathrooms inside the Museum and the pavilion are for Museum guests only and are NOT available to the general public.
- Outdoor public restrooms are available to the general public in Upper Landing Park and the southern end of Waryas Park.
- MHDM permits still and video photography for personal/noncommercial use.
- For the safety of our guests and protection of exhibits, the use of tripods, monopods, and selfie sticks is not permitted at any time. Working members of the media who need to use a tripod or monopod must obtain permission from the Museum’s Advancement Office and must be escorted by a Museum staff member while in the building.
- Guests may be filmed, photographed, or recorded by MHDM for educational and promotional uses, including for posting on the MHDM website and social media platforms. Please inform MHDM staff if you prefer not to be photographed.
FOOD & DRINKS
- Food and drinks are not permitted in the Museum. Guests can enjoy food and drinks on our patio or in our outdoor waterfront pavilion.
- Our gated parking lot is intended for Museum guests. Thus, parking is FREE for Museum guests. (Get exit ticket for the gate as you leave the Museum.)
- All others parking in our lot will be required to pay at a rate of $5/hour. Our parking lot is fully lit, and the Museum and grounds are under 24 hour video surveillance.
- We enforce our sick person policy. Individuals showing signs of illness will be asked to leave and will be given passes to visit at another time.
MUSEUM PROPERTY AND GROUNDS
- The Mid-Hudson Discovery Museum, its parking lot, gardens and pavilion are private property and are for the use of Museum guests and patrons only.
- After-hours activity on the premises is reserved for Museum business only. For rental inquiries please call (845) 4710-0589.
- Loitering and trespassing are not allowed. Violators will be prosecuted.
- Smoking is not permitted on Museum Property.
- Alcohol service and consumption is limited official events and is subject to terms set forth in MHDM rental agreements.
- Skateboarding, rollerblading, hoverboarding and scootering are strictly prohibited on Museum grounds, including the pavilion, parking lot, deck, gardens and Water St. entrances. Violators will be prosecuted.
- The property is under 24 hour video surveillance.
- Guests are required to comply with MHDM staff instructions and/or directives with respect to Museum policies.
- If you see something that concerns you, please alert Museum staff immediately.